Tips for surviving the renovation process
From time to time the excitement of renovations can turn into anxiety and discomfort as day to day routines and household patterns are disrupted. This is especially challenging for those of us with a preference for stability, organization and predictability. When routines and patterns are changed it’s natural to feel stressed and upset. You may even find yourself:
- wanting to supervise the renovation and all the details that come with it.
- expressing frustration to whoever will listen about the loss of routines and the use of your home.
- exhausted or sad over the loss of what was familiar even though you are excited about the improvements that are coming.
- more easily agitated over any other changes in your life whether they are work or family based.
Change often brings with it a sense of discomfort, elevated emotions and a desire to hold onto what is familiar.
Here are some simple tips to help you through these moments of discomfort and emotion:
- Ask questions of the project manager and keep asking questions. There should be no mystery for you in terms of what’s happening and when it is happening. Information is key to managing discomfort.
- Spend time before the renovation practicing new routines so that they have some familiarity to you and your family. Add some fun to the new routines so there is some pleasure and play in the new changes. Carving out a special part of the home away from the renovations to be the hub of your home until the renovations are complete is often helpful. Loss of routine is definitely easier to deal with if you have a workable replacement.
- Keep the outcome in mind. Visualize the finished product whenever the dust, noise, or changes become stressful.
- Minimize change and maintain stability in other parts of your life whether it is in your work, exercise routines or non home based family routines.
- Take a break from the renovations. If a sense of discomfort begins to take over and the above strategies are not working leave the house and indulge in some self care. Relax with your friends, engage in your favourite sport, or take a trip. You focus on you and we’ll focus on getting the renovations done quickly and smoothly.
- Trust yourself and your reasons for creating a change in your home. It made sense then and it makes sense now.