18 May HRM Decks FAQ
Frequently Asked Questions
- What do I need to apply for a permit?
- Completed permit application form
- 3 copies of the complete plans, showing all structural components.
- 3 copies of a site plan showing the proposed location of the project in relation to any other buildings on the property, the property lines, and water courses.
- All applicable fees and deposits.
- How much will my permit cost?
- The permit fee to construct a deck is based on $5.50 per $1000.00 of the estimated value of your project with a minimum fee of $25.00 and a Development Permit fee of $25.00. Depending on the complexity of your project, additional fees may be required. Please consult our fees schedule at www.halifax.ca.
- Do I need to call for inspections? Yes, once the permit is issued, you are required to call for the following inspections: Footing and Final
- How long will it take to get a permit? Once we have received your application, every effort is made to issue your permit within 5 business days. You may call any time to inquire about the status of your application.
- Please remember to have your application number when making inquiries or submitting additional information.
- Do I need footings for my deck? Yes, you require footings for a deck if it is attached to your house.
- You also require footings for a deck if it is detached and more than 2’ above grade.
- Where do I go to make an application? The following Municipal Customer Service Centres accept applications. They are located at: • 7071 Bayers Road, Suite 2005 (Bayers Road Centre) in Halifax, 902 .490.5650, or • 40 Alderney Drive (Alderney Gate) in Dartmouth, 902.490.4435